Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Is it just paper?


Brewster Kahle recently made himself a topic of being the pioneer of digitizing written information but wants to save a hard copy of every book.  See SA article
True, the rise of iPad has probably often makes me wonder how long would the book as we know it to disappear? I am not optimistic.
Book has an important role in the span of human written history.  From the stone, oracle, leather, bamboo, silk, rice paper, book has gone through many changes to reach its critical mass, and also to be cost effective.
One might argue that a single iPad, although itself requires energy and resources to create and to run; its powerful performance indeed reduces the needs of tremendous amount of other resources for printing, bundling, transportation, sales….. not just books. And I agree.
I love books, and I love the e-books on my iPad too.  Will I see the end of conventional printed book? I might.
Image taken at Mandalay, Myanmar

No comments:

Post a Comment