Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Telephoto lens and candid portraits


Among all the photography trips I made, this Myanmar trip is by far the lightest; much due to I was invited by Steve McCurry to join this workshop as his assistant, also because I intended to focus on just the portraits.  I have with me just a small Domke F6 bag, but I do pack one Canon 1Ds III (my primary camera), one Canon 5DII (back up and filming), 3 Canon L lenses: EF 24-105/4L USM, EF Macro 100/2.8L USM and EF 70-300/4.5-5.6L IS USM, and a RĂ˜DE X/Y Stereo Video Mic for use with 5DII.  I also packed some M&Ms, mints in the F6, still compact, but a little heavy.  I also have a Sony NEX-5 with me, with an accessory stereo microphone attached, an E 16/2.8 and an E 18-55 – with most of the video taken with NEX-5, more on this later.
The Canon EF 70-300L is a new lens, and a mighty one.  Certainly this Myanmar blog is not intended for gear talk or review, I have to say that a zoom of this range is a perfect lens for portrait such as this boy with the binocular, that the long reach allows me to be a good distant away from the subject and a nice compression to bring the little boy who was playing with his binocular. The high quality glass resulted extremely sharp image, which made possible also due to the highly effective image stabilizer. Although most of my images came from the basic 24-105/4L, this one among few others could not have been made without the long reach of 70-300L.

No comments:

Post a Comment